TECHNOLOGY CONTINUES TO MAKE OUR LIVES EASIER. TODAY, SMARTPHONES GIVE US ACCESS TO THE WORLD OF THE INTERNET AND EVEN HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES SUCH AS WASHING MACHINES. ONE OF THE TECHNOLOGICAL CREATIONS THAT REVOLUTIONIZED THE FLEET INDUSTRY WAS GPS TRACKING! FLEET COMPANIES NOW HAVE A COMPLETE VIEW OF THEIR ENTIRE OPERATION FROM START TO FINISH.
THE REAL QUESTION IS, HOW DO YOU GET THE BEST VEHICLE TRACKING SOFTWARE WITH SO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM? BY THE END OF THIS BLOG, YOU'LL KNOW EXACTLY WHAT GPS VEHICLE TRACKING IS, WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN VEHICLE TRACKING SOFTWARE, AND HOW YOUR FLEET BUSINESS WILL BENEFIT FROM VEHICLE TRACKING.
What is a vehicle tracking system?
A VEHICLE TRACKING SYSTEM IS SOFTWARE USED TO DETERMINE THE EXACT LOCATION OF A VEHICLE AT ANY GIVEN TIME. TO RECEIVE REAL-TIME INSIGHTS ABOUT THE VEHICLE'S GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION, VEHICLE TRACKING DEVICES CONNECT TO THE VEHICLE AND USE GPS TECHNOLOGY.
HOW EXACTLY DOES GPS TRACKING WORK?
WELL, LET'S BREAK IT DOWN: GPS STANDS FOR GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEM AND IS A SATELLITE CONSTELLATION THAT SUPPORTS GLOBAL HIGH-PRECISION POSITIONING, NAVIGATION, AND TIMING (PNT) MEASUREMENTS. WHILE ONE OF THE FIRST SATELLITE POSITIONING SYSTEMS WAS ORIGINALLY DEVELOPED FOR MILITARY PURPOSES IN THE 1960S, GPS BECAME AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC IN 1983.
TODAY, GPS HAS A VARIETY OF USES IN AGRICULTURE, OCEAN SURVEYING, AND EVEN FLEET MANAGEMENT TO DETERMINE WHEN, WHERE, AND HOW TO USE A VEHICLE, INCLUDING DRIVER BEHAVIOR, MAINTENANCE ALERTS, AND MORE. THIS IS DONE USING A GLOBAL NAVIGATION SATELLITE SYSTEM (GNSS) NETWORK, WHICH INCLUDES SATELLITES THAT COMMUNICATE WITH GPS TRACKING DEVICES, PROVIDING INFORMATION ABOUT THE VEHICLE'S LOCATION, ROUTE, TIME AND SPEED.
How do you know you need GPS fleet tracking?
LET'S LEARN MORE ABOUT FLEET TRACKING. FLEET TRACKING REFERS TO A MANAGEMENT SYSTEM THAT USES GPS TO MONITOR NOT ONLY THE FLEET BUT ALSO THE ASSETS BEING TRACKED.
Fleet tracking uses telematics to collect real-time data from fleets so that fleet managers can monitor and effectively manage the entire fleet and make strategic operational decisions.
THESE ARE SOME OF THE SIGNS THAT YOUR FLEET BUSINESS NEEDS GPS FLEET TRACKING:
- Fleet managers can't manage drivers' tasks and completion rates
- Your fleet and drivers have poor visibility and mission progress is poor
- Fleet managers are unable to assign and communicate important tasks in an emergency
- The fleet business experienced poor customer experience due to its inability to meet high customer expectations
- PAPERWORK AND SIGNED PROOF OF DELIVERY (POD) ARE MISPLACED
4 benefits of fleet tracking
On the other hand, effective fleet tracking translates into smooth operations for fleet business, regardless of fleet size. In turn, productivity increases, saving business time and money, and overall, improving the customer experience, which is great for any business's bottom line.
Here are 4 benefits of fleet business vehicle tracking:
- Driver visibility and asset tracking:Previously, fleet managers had no way of knowing the exact geographic location of the fleet or even the completion rate of deliveries. Now, the GPS tracking system allows fleet managers to create, assign and monitor tasks for drivers.
- Lower operating costs: Whether it's reducing money or time, GPS tracking enables fleet managers to manage fleets efficiently, increasing productivity and reducing delays and incorrect deliveries.
- Good customer experience:With vehicle tracking, customers can track their shipments in real-time at every step from shipment to delivery. After delivery, customers can sign the electronic POD and receive a delivery confirmation email.
- Reduce administrators: Vehicle tracking allows fleet managers to reduce the administrative burden by distributing tasks in one place, tracking drivers and fleets, and storing electric PODs.
But with so many tracking systems to choose from, how do you know which one is the best? Let's find out.
HOW TO DISCOVER A GOOD GPS TRACKING SOFTWARE
Vehicle tracking tools come in all shapes and sizes, from plug-ins to hardwired and battery-powered. Here's how to choose the best fleet tracking software:
- Find an easy-to-use platform:Simplicity ensures that fleet companies don't run out of extra time, resources, and effort. Find tracking software that offers everything your fleet needs on one platform so fleet managers can focus on scaling their business.
- Get real-time tracking: MANAGING FLEET OPERATIONS EFFECTIVELY REQUIRES ACCESS TO THE RIGHT INFORMATION AT THE RIGHT TIME, WHEN YOU NEED IT. GET REAL-TIME VEHICLE TRACKING, INCLUDING HD VIDEO FOOTAGE AND AI-POWERED CAMERAS, SO FLEET MANAGERS CAN USE THE DATA THEY RECEIVE TO MAKE STRATEGIC OPERATIONAL DECISIONS.
- Mobility is a must: Being able to gain visibility into your fleet and communicate with drivers from anywhere is essential for a smooth fleet to run smoothly. This way, you can manage your entire business operations, from assigning tasks, to routing and scheduling, to delivery, in the palm of your hand.
Get vehicle tracking in the palm of your hand with the Cartrack app
Cartrack offers an easy-to-use vehicle tracking and fleet management platform. Catrack's vehicle tracking software gives fleet managers full control over your fleet, drivers, and assets.
Let's take a look at some of the most popular features in Cartrack's all-in-one fleet management software:
Real-time vision and AI cameras: Cartrack's easy-to-use video system provides a real-time view of your fleet, cargo, and drivers. This AI-powered real-time streaming camera technology features up to eight internal or external cameras to keep your drivers, fleet and cargo safe, and includes event recordings to give fleet managers insight into driver behavior.
Geofencing: With precise GPS location and route history on a comprehensive street-level map, fleet managers can set predefined areas (geofencing) and receive notifications via SMS and email when vehicles enter or leave those areas.
MiFleet: MiFleet is an easy-to-use software that efficiently manages the operating costs associated with your fleet. With MiFleet, fleet managers can easily import fuel transactions, highlight all fuel risks, understand possible fraud, and investigate ways to save fuel, money, and reduce management.
Fleet managers' lives are made easier by Cartrack's vehicle tracking and telematics platform, as well as a fleet management system that provides security, safety and control anytime, anywhere.
Contact Cartrack today for peace of mind.