Buildings, houses, bridges, landmarks and the cities we live in today all benefit from construction companies.
In this article:
- Learn what makes a good fleet manager. Ensuring quality oversight and putting safety first is an example.
- We will focus on how fleet management can benefit the construction industry.
- Learn how to improve and enhance your construction business with Cartrack's fleet management software platform.
- Discover the top five benefits of implementing construction fleet management for your business.
- Find out some important tips to grow an efficient construction company from scratch.
To bring these masterpieces to life and ensure operational success, effective fleet management functions are essential.
If you're in the construction industry, you've come to the right place.
We'll tell you how to empower and improve your construction business, and how smart fleet management software can help you do just that.
What does a fleet management software platform do?
This can be referred to as a fleet software platform.
Various businesses or industries can use this tool to manage every aspect of their operations from the powerful data insights it provides. For example, gain insight into maintenance, driver behavior, fuel expenditure, fuel consumption, and more.
For fleet managers, time is money.
Many tasks can be automated to reduce the time spent on administration and create more time for growing the business.
Certain management qualities are also needed to add cherry on top of a good fleet management process.
What skills do I need to become a fleet manager?
- Create quality oversight
Construction fleet managers need to make sure they know their operations, drivers, and vehicles throughout the day. Regardless of the time of day, if their vehicle is not working, they need to give the reason why they are not working, react quickly, and find a solution immediately. Or there may be problems on site and they need to determine who is responsible for which construction project or which driver is responsible for using certain vehicles or equipment.
- Prioritizing safety should take the necessary steps to protect your fleet. They need to know the location of vehicles in real time to prevent theft and protect assets during construction projects. Fleet managers also need to ensure that vehicles drive well and set performance standards for drivers. This will ensure the safety of drivers, vehicles and assets without incurring unnecessary fleet costs. Another safety measure is to ensure compliance with rules and regulations, encouraging drivers to avoid distractions and safety hazards. In this case, managers should be aware of the exclusion zones of their fleet and create geofencingor obstacles, preventing drivers from entering any unsafe or unauthorized areas.
- Understanding Data fleet managers need to analyze, interpret, and react quickly to software data to make immediate decisions to protect operations. If they receive a data alert, such as a vehicle breaking down, driving improperly, or a vehicle not where it should be, they will need to respond. For example, there may be a vehicle that is not working properly and then requires maintenance to prevent costly repairs to the construction vehicle.
- Managing vehicle maintenance and making better decisions managers need to be more strategic with the data received from the software platform and use it to plan and organize the future. They can make predictions for new or used vehicles as well as maintenance schedules. Questions like needing more vehicles? Or which vehicles are used the most and which are the most efficient? You can plan ahead by answering in advance through software platform services. Ultimately, reduce fleet costs and run your business more efficiently.
What are the types of fleet management industries?
- Car rental and rental
- Cold Chain Logistics
- Transportation and logistics
In this article, we will dive into the impact of fleet management on construction businesses and provide you with construction fleet tracking and telematics solutions.
What is Construction Fleet Management?
It involves the planning and supervision of all vehicles, drivers, and assets to ensure productivity and efficient workflows in the business.
In this process, fleet managers use route planning, fleet monitoring, data collection, and reporting to gain complete visibility and control over their operations.
Managers of construction fleets need to understand what works and what doesn't, reducing project delays and cost impacts across the business.
An intelligent fleet management platform is the answer to effective construction fleet management – here's how.
Why you need fleet management solutions from Cartrack to improve your construction fleet business
- GPS VEHICLE AND DEVICE TRACKING: EASILY LOCATE YOUR VEHICLES AND ASSETS TO KEEP THEM SAFE AND GET INFORMATION ABOUT THEIR CONDITION. AND MONITOR WHETHER THEY ARE BEING USED EFFECTIVELY.
- Maintain your building assets: Get maintenance alerts when your vehicles and machinery require services to reduce costs and extend the life of your vehicles. In addition, downtime is reduced and productivity is increased.
- Building fleet safety: AI-powered technology cameras provide insight into driver behavior, ensuring they are not easily distracted and driving correctly
- Driver management and training: Promoting safe driving habits and training will help save you time and money. This will improve road behavior and reduce vehicle wear.
- Protect your assets and goods: Make sure they are where they should be and be alerted when they enter or leave unauthorized areas.
- Timestamps: Know when teams arrive and leave the job site to ensure consistent working hours so teams can be paid accordingly.
- Less administration: Less paperwork because all fleet processes are automated and recorded electronically.
- Manage costs: Understand your project costs to ensure your pricing remains profitable and competitive. Our actionable insights help you identify cost inefficiencies so you can focus on growing your business.
Equipment fleet management in construction fleets
Vehicle management is not only important for your construction fleet vehicles or vehicles, but heavy equipment fleet management plays the same role.
The failure of this equipment can be costly for the business, limiting the timely completion of the project and resulting in the inability to deliver to the customer.
Let's take concrete mixer as an example.
They allow you to produce your own batch of mixed concrete, which can be transported directly to where the construction site is needed. This also saves money and time, because you don't have to rely on concrete batching plant to deliver, and you can control the quantity used.
SUPPOSE YOU HAVE TEN CEMENT MIXERS ON SITE, DO YOU KNOW IF THEY ARE USED EFFICIENTLY AND IF THEY ARE PROTECTED? MONITOR THEM USING GPS TRACKING TECHNOLOGY AND GAIN DATA INSIGHTS ON THE PLATFORM.
They may continue to exist without supervision and turn unnecessarily without cement – and therefore not being used efficiently. You may have some underutilized products, so you can save money by not buying more where you don't need it.
You can also get instant alerts if they are stolen, or used without consent and if maintenance is required.
4 advantages of fleet management software for construction fleets
- Optimize fleet and operator performance
A successful fleet management system involves maximizing the analysis of vehicle and operator data. Data insights such as fuel consumption, mileage, machinery diagnostics, maintenance, and driver performance all give managers a complete view of fleet operator history and performance.
Fleet managers can then optimize day-to-day operations, save costs, and make informed business decisions.
For example, truck breakdowns and service maintenance can also be very expensive. Managers can use this data to develop and manage vehicle maintenance schedules, reducing the number of repairs and extending the life of the vehicle. They will also operate at full capacity, which means a reduction in fuel running costs.
In addition, data on the best routes and safe driving methods can be implemented to improve driver safety and fuel economy.
- Improve productivity and workflow
When fleet management software is in place, there is less room for errors, problems, delays, or anything that could disrupt workflows, increasing overall efficiency. Fleet managers must effectively coordinate the scheduling of vehicles and equipment to ensure construction projects are on schedule. They can plan efficient routes, find the best route, and dispatch the nearest available driver to meet on-site requirements. Assign the right people to the right jobs and complete tasks better and on time. The project plan is accurate, the team is responsible, and is responsible for keeping the task deliverables needed to move the project forward.
As a result, companies will have more time to respond to urgent requests and adapt quickly without delay.
- Improve invoicing
Automated reports tell you exactly when the construction team arrives or leaves a given project site. This allows you to see their actual working hours so you can charge clients and accurately pay your team, helping you avoid wasted costs.
Managers should consider completing invoices and transactions digitally, which will also improve the security of data.
In addition, financial record keeping is implemented on digital platforms to improve accuracy and minimize payment errors and/or omissions.
This will enable construction companies to review payment history and send accurate invoices to customers.
- Better budgeting and forecasting
The whole goal of running a successful construction business is to see if there is a capital gain. As a result, companies can leverage valuable fleet data to get an overview of expenses and understand which projects are making money or losing. Get reports to forecast expenses and revenue, and generate more accurate budgets and forecasts for the future. For example, they can assess how much money has been spent on fuel over a certain period of time and budget accordingly.
Overall, businesses should be aware of their finances and take the right steps to keep their doors open and financially healthy.
How to develop an efficient construction business
We know that a fleet management platform gives you more control over your business, but as with any business, other factors are important to your success.
We've got some extra tips for your toolbox.
- Build a great team: You need the right people to make sure the work is done correctly. You should also reward them for their good work and empower them to do better.
- Build a strong network: Attend events and networks to build your customer base. Build reports with existing customers and create a space for positive recommendations.
- Launch a website: Your website should contain valuable information about your company and services, and answer frequently asked questions from customers. You should list how your service will solve their problem.
- BUILD EFFECTIVE SALES AND MARKETING FUNNELS: HAVING AN ENGAGING WEBSITE AND SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS IS A GOOD STARTING POINT FOR AN ONLINE PRESENCE. BUT TO TAKE IT A STEP FURTHER, YOU SHOULD CONSIDER USING EFFECTIVE DIGITAL STRATEGIES LIKE SEO, ANALYTICS, CONTENT MARKETING, AND ADVERTISING AS PART OF YOUR OVERALL GROWTH STRATEGY.
- Invest in the right construction fleet management software: As mentioned earlier, a SaaS platform will facilitate smoother operations and give fleet managers more control over their fleet with accurate reporting and data insights.
The best fleet management for construction businesses is there. Get started with Cartrack's fleet management software. Grow and improve your business today with a technology-driven platform.